Re: Smail and spammers

The curretn smail beta has these features and a release of a new smail
with much better security is near.  There is a bit of an argument on some
of the smail mailing lists now about how the default setup should be. As
currently proposed, the default configuration would be very strict and
likely result in the bouncing of a good bit of mail but the debian
maintainer is free to loosen some of this up.

Right now, your best shot is to run smail under inetd using hosts.allow
and hosts.deny to keep parasites at bay.

On Sat, 21 Jun 1997, John Foster wrote:

> Is there any way I can disable spammers from using my smail server to
> distribute spam?
>
> >From the logs it appears that someone is sending mail from a
> compuserve account that then propagates into a large batch of mails to
> address all over the world.
>
> The original post from compuserve and the resultong hundreds of
> outgoings all have the same ID. Is this due to BSMTP?
>
> If I add a
>
> -bsmtp
>
> to the pipe: section of the transports file will I break anything?
>
> Is there some way that I can restrict use of the "|" thingy to local
> users only? ie mail that originates on the server, as against mail
> from outside (that is compuserve)?
>
> Is there a resource out on the Internet that will point me in the
> right direction?
>
> Wot a lot of questions!
>
> John Foster
>

> --