Re: setting & switching screen densities

On Tue, 17 Jun 1997, Daniel Doro Ferrante wrote:

> I suppose you have already run the 'xf86config'. Have you set
> everything that it asks for? In a machine I installed a friend of
> mine forgot to set the mouse under X and it didn't worked without the
> mouse installed... Things like this can happen... By the way, I have
> the same video board that you have and I had no problem in upgrading
> or configuring it under X. I did the same settings that you mentioned
> above and I am running 1024x768 with no trouble.

Actually, there's something weird with the latest xf86config.

A few days ago i got rid of my old 15" monitor and got a 17", so I made a
backup copy of my /etc/X11/XF86Config file and ran xf86config.

It seemed to work perfectly. I set the mouse, keyboard, video card,
monitor (filled in the values from the manual which came with it).  Then
it ran the X server to test the settings.  Perfect!  1280x1024.  Clicked
on OK, and saved the configuration.

However, when I restarted xdm, I got an 800x600 screen. When I looked in
/var/log/xdm-errors, I saw that it was discarding all the higher
resolutions.  I've lost the actual error messages - forgot to keep a copy
of the log file - but i'm sure I'll see them again this weekend when i
have time to get it running in 1280x1024.

I assumed i had made a mistake and forgot to save the config or something,
so I did it again.  and again.  and again.  i gave up after that, i may not
have got it going but i had sort of "proved" that i hadn't made some
simple, stupid mistake...which meant that xf86config was making some simple,
stupid mistake :-)

As soon as I figure out what it is, I'll file a proper bug report.

So, something is wrong with what it saved. I *SAW* X running my new
screen in 1280x1024 mode.

I'm glad I kept a backup copy of my old /etc/X11/XF86Config file :-)
Sometime this weekend I hope to find the time to get this new monitor
running to it's full potential (my X desktop is way too cramped even
using FVWM*'s pager module with about 20 or 30 windows open at any time)

BTW, my system has a 2MB S3 Trio 64 video card, and the monitor is a
Velta 17" -- Horiz: 30kHz-69kHz, Vert: 50Hz-120Hz, Bandwidth: 100MHz,
Max Resolution: 1280x1024(NI).

craig

PS: This reminds me of another bug I should report: fvwm95's task bar
dies if you have "too many" windows open. "too many" is an unknown
quantity, i've never counted them...more than 15 or 20 at least.

Anyway, what seems to be happening is that fvwm95 finds out how big each
title bar has to be by dividing the taskbar by the number of windows
it has to list. If there are too many to list, it just freezes. I work
around this bug by dragging the taskbar's corner with the left mouse
button to make it double-height...that seems to "fix" it, but it's
annoying to have to lose some valuable screen real-estate.

Anyone else seen this? Does anyone else regularly run with 20 or 30 or
40 windows open?

--
craig sanders
networking consultant                  Available for casual or contract