Re: setting & switching screen densities

On Mon, 16 Jun 1997, Rick Hawkins wrote:

> X is now running, but it seems to be ignoring options.  It's a Diamond
> stealth vram (#124), which is an S3.  I've set it for 432 under 8 bits,
> and 32 under 16 (1mb vram).  But it seems to insist that the higher
> density modes don't exist.  It's startup messages (the ones that are
> left) annnouce
>
> (--) there is no mode definition mamed "1024x768"
> (--) removing mode "1024X768": from list of valid modes"
>
> then again for 800x600.
>
> What am I doing wrong?

	I suppose you have already run the 'xf86config'. Have you set
everything that it asks for? In a machine I installed a friend of mine
forgot to set the mouse under X and it didn't worked without the mouse
installed... Things like this can happen... By the way, I have the same
video board that you have and I had no problem in upgrading or configuring
it under X. I did the same settings that you mentioned above and I am
running 1024x768 with no trouble.

> While I'm at it, the 2-bit questions:
> 1) what was the command to switch between screeen sizes?

	It's 'ctrl +' to go up in sizes and 'ctrl -' to go down in sizes.

> 2) for that matter, if i use xdm, how do i switch between 8 & 16?
> 3) the file /etc/xdm.dpkg-dist exists, but xdm isn't launching.
> However, xdm from a root window successfully launches.

	If you get answer for this one, please, let me know :) ...

> rick

					Daniel.

Daniel Doro Ferrante			     |
					     |E-mail: danieldf@lnx00.cecm.usp.br
CECM - Curso Experimental de 		     |
       Ciencias Moleculares - USP.	     |Tel:
       					     | +55 +11 818-3188
       Course of Molecular 		     | +55 +11 818-3187
       Sciences - University of 	     |
       Sao Paulo.			     |FAX:
					     | +55 +11 444-6932
Av. do Anfiteatro, s/n. Favo 22 - Colmeias.  |
Sao Paulo, SP. Brasil (Brazil)               |