Re: PPP with a dynamic address?

Dale Scheetz <dwarf@polaris.net> writes:

> Several suggestions have indicated that 0.0.0.0 be used for a "dummy" full
> name.
>
> I guess my question at this point is, "What purpose is served by the line:
>
> 	199.44.34.24	dwarf.polaris.net	dwarf
>
> in /etc/hosts?"
>
> If I don't need such a line when dynamic IPs are used, why do I need one
> when it is a static IP?

Hmm.  I thought he was suggesting that you use sed or something to
edit the 0.0.0.0 to the correct value at runtime.  I didn't know
0.0.0.0 would be acceptable, and I've found that hostname "hacks", if
this is one, can fail from version to version of the kernel/resolver.

Specifically, some programs can be very particular about entries in
/etc/hosts; sendmail, rlogind, and lprng come to mind.  I've had
trouble at one time or another with each of these as a result of
dynamic-ip's and/or masquerading.

I haven't taken the time to make sure I've gotten everything exactly
right -- I've just tended to to fix the problems as they crop up.

--
Rob