What would you do?

Before I start loading a lot of packages on my new system I would like to
describe my setup and see what my options are WRT internetworking my
local network:

1 486-66 Linux box (Debian 1.2)
1 P133 Win95 box

These are networked and the modem is currently attached to the Win95 box.
I have a shell account and a PPP account which I currently access from
the Win95 box. The Linux box is running Apache. In addition to possibly
running a full time web server, I would like to be able to periodically
retrieve information from the net and be able to page myself when an
event occurs. What packages would I need to make the Linux box the
internetworking server? Is there a good FAQ which provides an overview?

Cheers,

Jim