Re: Quantum Fireball EIDE uncooperative

Jason Gunthorpe wrote:

> On Wed, 18 Jun 1997, Dan Hugo wrote:
>
> > I should point out that during boot, the hard drive spins up, green
> > light looking normal, then spins down with the green light blinking
> > slowly and non-stop.  I am not familiar enough with hard drive fails to
> > know exactly what this means.
>
> I've seen things like this on older SCSI disks, the disk thinks something
> is wrong enough for it to abort it's powerup. If you went out of it's
> rated heat range then your toast, otherwise I'd phone up quantum and hope
> it's on warrenty.

I got is a few months ago... less than 6.  The thing is, it spins up
later...

> If your PC got hot enought to cause the disk to have problems I'd worry
> about other components too.. Probably took a year off it's life!
>
> I know my 2G fireball doesn't get very hot while running..

I have a 3.2G, if that is useful.  The rest of the system was fine (ie
ran off the rescue disk, and was not particularly warm to the touch
anywhere, and the power supply was also pretty cool), and the machine
had been up on other such hot days... I just happened to check the drive
thinking heat might be the problem.  I guess "HOT" should be taken as a
relative term... I mean, I touched a bare powerpc running at 300 MHz,
and that was much hotter.  Let's say the drive was very warm, but still
spun up on my next attempt to boot (then spun down again with the
blinking green light).

Drive spin-up delay out-of-whack at boot time?

Any other guesses?