Re: make boot floppy problem Deb1.3

Erwin:

I got this collection of errors trying to install Debian 1.1 until I
changed my controller (Adaptec AHA 1542 A)  which had firmware circa
1988. I suspect nobody else keeps superanuated hardware around as long
as I do, but it is worth thinking about if you hardware has any age on
it.

You indicate that you tried various floppies. I got these errors until I
used fresh high quality floppies freshly formatted in a late (for me
that means post 1994) machine.

I hope that others will be of further assistance.

Luck!

--DAvid

On Wed, 18 Jun 1997 simons@alpha2.vki.ac.be wrote:

> I'm experiencing problems installing Debian1.3 from scratch.
> I followed the Debian1.3 installation guide and opted to
> install with floppy disks.

> Everything went swiftly untill I reached the point :
>   Make a Boot floppy
> After introducing an empty, formatted, write-enabled floppy
> and hitting enter I get the following messages:

>  Formatting the floppy...
>    Verifying track 0, head 0 end-request:I/O error, dev 02:00, sector 17
>    end-request:I/O error, dev 02:00, sector 17
>    Verifying track 0, head 1 end-request:I/O error, dev 02:00, sector 17
>    end-request:I/O error, dev 02:00, sector 32
>    Verifying track 0, head 0 end-request:I/O error, dev 02:00, sector 17
>    end-request:I/O error, dev 02:00, sector 17
>    Verifying track 0, head 1 end-request:I/O error, dev 02:00, sector 17
>    end-request:I/O error, dev 02:00, sector 32
>
> After which the installation stops. (does not hang, goes back to menu)
>
> I tried different floppies, ... , in vain.
> Has it got anything to do with the way I configured the device drivers
> (nothing installed explicitly) or might it be a hardware problem ?
>
> I installed it together with an existing MS-DOS using fips to free space
> for my Linux partitions.
>
> Any help for this Linux newbie highly appreciated !!  :)
>
> Thanks a lot, --Erwin
>

> --

           LINUX: the FREE 32 bit OS for [345]86 PC's available NOW!
David B Teague | User interface copyrights & software patents make
teague@wcu.edu | programing a dangerous business. Ask me or lpf@lpf.org

spy counter-intelligence wild porno sex gold bullion Soviet Bosnia clipper
National Security Council explosion Treasury terrorist Delta Force bomb Iran
Mossad data encryption munitions Serbian hydrazine ammonium nitrate fuel oil