Re: The technically challenged WAS Re: Are spammers subscibing to the lists?

John Foster wrote:

> On Wed, 18 Jun 1997, M BAILEY wrote:
>

> > > OK, so I'm "technically challenged"! How do I put 1200 clients in 2 C
> > > class networks with static IPs?
> > >

> > Are these all unix stations or are some of these Win95/NT if the latter
> > of the two you can buy a product from Bay Networks that lets you use IPX
> > for 50 stations to one IP number it seems to work OK for alot of people..
> >
> > Otherwise you have to get another 2 class C's.

I think what Bruce meant about everyone having static IPs was not

  "Surely each ISP can get enough addresses so that each customer
   could be assigned a static IP thus providing a one-to-one mapping
   from IP address to person, then we could easily pin-down
   spammers from the sendmail tracks left in the email headers.

but rather,

  "Gee, wouldn't it be nice if every person had one and only one IP
   so we'd have a one-to-one mapping from IP address to person,
   then we could easily pin-down spammers from the sendmail tracks
   in the headers.

--
Jens B. Jorgensen
jjorgens@bdsinc.com