make boot floppy problem Deb1.3

I'm experiencing problems installing Debian1.3 from scratch.
I followed the Debian1.3 installation guide and opted to
install with floppy disks.

Everything went swiftly untill I reached the point :
  Make a Boot floppy
After introducing an empty, formatted, write-enabled floppy
and hitting enter I get the following messages:

 Formatting the floppy...
   Verifying track 0, head 0 end-request:I/O error, dev 02:00, sector 17
   end-request:I/O error, dev 02:00, sector 17
   Verifying track 0, head 1 end-request:I/O error, dev 02:00, sector 17
   end-request:I/O error, dev 02:00, sector 32
   Verifying track 0, head 0 end-request:I/O error, dev 02:00, sector 17
   end-request:I/O error, dev 02:00, sector 17
   Verifying track 0, head 1 end-request:I/O error, dev 02:00, sector 17
   end-request:I/O error, dev 02:00, sector 32

After which the installation stops. (does not hang, goes back to menu)

I tried different floppies, ... , in vain.
Has it got anything to do with the way I configured the device drivers
(nothing installed explicitly) or might it be a hardware problem ?

I installed it together with an existing MS-DOS using fips to free space
for my Linux partitions.

Any help for this Linux newbie highly appreciated !!  :)

Thanks a lot, --Erwin