Re: Elvis problems in X (was: Re: No Termcap)

On Jun 16, J.R.Blaakmeer@student.utwente.nl wrote

> I have a question about elvis, rxvt and termcap. I think the Debian package
> of elvis still needs termcap.

Nope.

Package: elvis
Section: editors
Installed-Size: 775
Maintainer: Erik B. Andersen <andersee@et.byu.edu>
Architecture: i386
Version: 2.0-8
Replaces: elvisnox, elvisx11, elv-vi
Provides: elviscmn
Depends: libc5 (>= 5.4.13-1), ncurses3.0, xlib6 (>= 3.2-0)
[snip]                        ^^^^^^^^^^

As you can see, it uses ncurses (which uses 'terminfo' for its terminal
database), not termcap.

> Does anybody have the same experience or am I the only one with this
> problem? BTW, the only reason I have for running rxvt is the color support
> that is default. Does anyone know an easy way to get color support in the
> xterm that comes with the Debian installation of X?

To get color by default in xterm's, add the line

XTerm*customization:    -color

to the file /etc/X11/Xresources. Works for me.

I "don't do vi", so I can't really help you with your problems. But are you
using the elvis Debian package? I got the impression from your message that
you aren't. If so, you might want to install it and see if it works
better. And if it doesn't, you should file a bug report about it. It's real
easy. Just email submit@bugs.debian.org. The first line of your message
should say "Package: elvis", the second line should say "Version: 2.0-8"
(or whatever version you have installed). Then you explain what doesn't
work right, including error message given by the programs, etc. The more
details, the better.

  Christian