Re: Simple sendmail question.

On 17 Jun 97 09:18:48 -0500, Chris Brown <CBROWN@seitz.com> said:

> Initially the only need to have a host that will pick up mail if our
> primary server is down or busy then forward it on when the other
> system is back up.

You don't have to configure sendmail at all for this to work, it's
entirely automatic.  You just have to set up your MX records properly
(with your backup host as an MX host with a higher precedence number).

I see that seitz.com currently has a single MX record with precedence
20.  You just need to add an additional MX record for the mail
backup relay with a higher precedence number, eg 30.

> When going thru the sendmailconfig it asks if it should accept mail
> for other hosts by giving their name in this case tell it seitz.com .

This question is asking if you want to deliver any additional domains
locally on this machine.  That's not what you're trying to do, so don't
list seitz.com in response here.

--
Roderick Schertler
roderick@argon.org