Re: Urgent! tar hangs on SCSI tape

On Jun 17, Hubert Palme wrote
> Hi,
>
> I urgently have to backup my Linux box. But tar hangs after a while,
> and to get the /dev/st0 free, I have to reboot. The task isn't
> killable (D flag in the ps listing). My configuration: Adaptec SCSI
> adapter, DAT tape. I want to backup the whole disk, including a vfat
> partition.

If you have a Adaptec SCSI adapter and a kernel 2.0.29 or 2.0.30 then
you found probably a kernel problem. I have heard more people
experiencing SCSI tape problems with recent kernels and Adaptec
adapters. If you want an urgent backup try an older kernel like 2.0.6
for the backup (ugly solution) or another SCSI adapter (ugly,
too). Otherwise I think it's an unsolved kernel problem :-(

Do you get tape errors in /var/log/messages ?

Greetings,

				Christian

--
Christian Meder, email: christian.meder@utoronto.ca