Re: setting & switching screen densities

    Rick>  But it seems to insist that the higher density modes don't
    Rick> exist.  It's startup messages (the ones that are left)
    Rick> annnouce

 They get deleted by the Xserver to protect your monitor.

    Rick> (--) there is no mode definition mamed "1024x768"
    Rick> (--) removing mode "1024X768": from list of valid modes"

    Rick> then again for 800x600.

    Rick> What am I doing wrong?

 Maybe you need a better monitor; one that can handle higher scan
rates.

    Rick> While I'm at it, the 2-bit questions:

    Rick> 1) what was the command to switch between screeen sizes?

 That I know for sure. Ctrl-Alt-Keypad-minus/plus will do it.
Ctrl-Alt-Fkey will get you to a console terminal.

    Rick> 2) for that matter, if i use xdm, how do i switch between 8
    Rick> & 16?

 You can make one or the other the default in the XF86Config file, or
you can put the -bpp option in the commandline that starts the X
server in "/etc/X11/xdm/XServers".  I've done this before:

:0 local /usr/X11R6/bin/X :0 tty5 -bpp 16
:1 local /usr/X11R6/bin/X :1 tty6 -bpp 8

... and then Ctrl-Alt-F6 will flip to DISPLAY=unix:1.0, at 8bpp,
Ctrl-Alt-F5 will flip to DISPLAY=unix:0.0, at 16bpp.  If you've got
enough RAM it works fairly well.

 I found I didn't use the second Xserver very often, so I took that
out.  When I want to play Quake, I start X from a console commandline,
and let it default to 8bpp, which I've configured to only use 640x480.

    Rick> 3) the file /etc/xdm.dpkg-dist exists, but xdm isn't
    Rick> launching.  However, xdm from a root window successfully
    Rick> launches.

? /etc/X11/xdm/*, and /etc/init.d/xdm are the files it uses.

--
Karl M. Hegbloom <karlheg@inetarena.com>
http://www.inetarena.com/~karlheg