Re: SMAIL/smarthost/BIND error

On Jun 17, Hubert Palme wrote
: Heiko Schlittermann:
:  > Reads as an DNS problem.  Try to turn on more debugging in smail
:  > (-v1000 or somewhat similar, see the manpage ...).  This way you should
:  > be able to find what actually is the BIND failure.  No MX (but that
:  > should'nt hurd), no response ...
:
: How is smail run? I neither found any daemon running nor any inetd
: entry! Nevertheless -- this mail is sent from my Linux box :-)
:
:  >
:  > Try ``mx post.metrolink.net'' or ``host post.metrolink.net''.
:
: Seems to show the MX records. Where can I find documentation about
: this program?

Should come with bind or {bind,dns}-tools.

Wait ...

	$ dpkg -S $(type -p mx)
	$ dnsutils: /usr/bin/mx
	$ dpkg -s dnsutils
	Package: dnsutils
	 This package includes the "host" program for querying
	 information from the Domain Name System (DNS). It also
	 includes several short aliases (mx, ns, soa, zone) for
	 querying specific information, as well as two shell
	 scripts: nslookup and mxlookup.

    Heiko
--
email : heiko@lotte.sax.de heiko@debian.org heiko@sax.de
pgp   : A1 7D F6 7B 69 73 48 35  E1 DE 21 A7 A8 9A 77 92