NFS mounting /usr

The situation: here at the Monash library, myself and a colleague
are setting up three or four Debian systems. The intention is that,
by NFS mounting /usr, the space required to hold the binaries (not
insignificant at the best of times :-) should be greatly reduced,
along with the redundancy of three or four copies of everything.
The problem arises with the prospect of upgrading the systems that
are NFS mounting the drive to later versions of various packages -
/var, /etc, /sbin, and /bin will end up out of sync at some point.

I'm just looking for input with regards to how other people have
dealt with this problem - or is it a non-issue? (which I'd find
hard to believe... a trivial issue, perhaps, but not a non-issue :)

Any and all information would be appreciated.