Re: How to tell dpkg a package is installed though it isn't?

In article <[🔎] vafbu56up3j.fsf@ls6.cs.uni-dortmund.de>,
	grossjohann@charly.cs.uni-dortmund.de (Kai Grossjohann) writes:

> I compiled Emacs myself and put it in /usr/local.  How do I tell dpkg
> that it's OK to install packages that depend on Emacs though it's not
> a Debian package install?

You need a dummy package which makes dpkg believe that the Debian
package is installed.  You can fetch a modest attempt of mine to make
such a package from our FTP server "ftp://ietpd1.sowi.uni-mainz.de/";
in the directory "/pub/debian/unofficial/source/", which is simply
called 'equivs-1.0.deb-unoff.src.tar.gz'. There are some other
unofficial Debian packages of interest to people who like to be more
up to date with their software than some Debian maintainers efforts
can offer.

You need to simply edit the 'Provides:' line in the control file. The
package is a very gross hack by a non-programmer person, so you need
better to know what you are doing when using it. Maybe someone else
could make it a more worthy package?
                                          Cheers, P. *8^)
--
   Paul Seelig                         pseelig@goofy.zdv.uni-mainz.de