netscape version oddness

I installed the netscape package, and the file from netscape from the
3.01 directory (netscape-v301-export.x86-unknown-linux-elf.tar.gz).  The
first time, netscape launched and happily ran.  Now it says,

$ netscape: program is version 3.01, but resources are version 3.0.

        This means that there is an inappropriate `Netscape' file installed
        in the app-defaults directory.  Check these environment variables
        and the directories to which they point:

        $XAPPLRESDIR
        $XFILESEARCHPATH
        $XUSERFILESEARCHPATH

        Also check for this file in your home directory, or in the
        directory called `app-defaults' somewhere under /usr/lib/.
[2]+  Exit 255                netscape

There are absolutely now 3.0 binaries about, or available.  In fact,
there doesn't even seem to *be* a linux 3.0.

So I removed the package, downloaded package and file again, and it says
the same thing.  also, none of the referenced variables esist.

rick