Re: Upgrade path to 1.3

On Mon, 16 Jun 1997 softcorp@netvision.net.il wrote:

> I have a standalone Debian 1.2 machine ;( - so here is what I plan to do:
>
> 1. Identify all packages that where updated on 1.3 and dld them, including
>    the Packages file.
>
> 2. Updating dpkg:
>    dpkg --clear-avail
>    dpkg -i ldso_*.deb
>    dpkg -i libc5_*.deb
>    dpkg -i dpkg_*.deb      (must I reinstall dpkg-ftp, it hasn't changed !)
>    dpkg --purge --force-depends texbin

I think you should upgrade dpkg first

> 3. Updating Packages:
>    dpkg --update-avail Packages.gz
>
> 4. Pouring all the updated packages onto the Linux machine (see step 1).
>
> 5. Letting dselect update all packages.

Dselect expects a base dir, to which all filenames in the packages file
are relative and a packages file, describing where to find the packages
and to what section they belong.
If you just randomly place the downloaded packages on your disk, chances
are that you'll have a hard time installing them with dselect.
To be able to let dselect use the Packages.gz file, you'll have to make a
tree more or less like on the ftp.debian.org site.
It is a lot easier to just put all the *.deb files in directory /foo/bar
and then run "dpkg -iGREB /foo/bar".

> 6. Updating the kernel using the kernel-image package through dselect.
>                                    (which kernel is preferred: 29 or 30 ?)

If you can, get kernel-source, libc5-dev, gcc, binutils (and some other
stuff I forgot to mention) and configure and compile your own kernel. A
nice tool is kernel-package, which makes a custom kernel-image.deb.

Success,

Joost