Re: Xwindows problem: window managers confusion HELP!

In message <[🔎] Pine.LNX.3.96.970616030452.21214A-100000@debian1.sssys.com>, writes
:
  >Hi
  >I installed fvwm95 and everything worked fine. But I decided to installed
  >more windows managers and now all I get is a single xterm with no menus.
  >I'm having a hard time trying to figure out what goes on what file.  At
  >this point I don't know the difference between .xinitrc and xsession. Can
  >someone tell me whichone I'm supposse to use?

.xinitrc works with startx and xsession works with xdm.  I have them
hard-linked
so that I get the same whichever way I get into X.

  >I tried adding and deleting my .xinitrc and .xsession from /root to see if
  >I could get the global defaults. But nothing changed.  My files get
  >ignored no matter what I put in them. What can I do to find out what I'm
  >not getting any window managers?

1. Using xdm

If you are running xdm (that is, you see a login screen in X) look at the
configuration files in /etc/X11 and /etc/X11/xdm.  /etc/X11/config has some
options that may be affecting you; mine looks like this:

 # This file contains configuration flags for the X Window System.
 # For a description of the meanings of the flags, see
 # /usr/doc/X11/debian.README

 run-xconsole
 obey-nologin
 allow-user-resources
 allow-user-modmap
 allow-user-xsession
 allow-failsafe
 start-xdm
 no-xdm-start-server

You have to have allow-user-resources for your .xsession file to
be executed.

My .xsession looks like this:

 #!/bin/sh

 export PATH MANPATH PGPPATH XAUTHORITY PAGER KDEDIR LD_LIBRARY_PATH
 userresources=$HOME/.Xresources
 usermodmap=$HOME/.Xmodmap
 sysresources=/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xinit/.Xresources
 sysmodmap=/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xinit/.Xmodmap

 # merge in defaults and keymaps

 if [ -f $sysresources ]; then
    xrdb -merge $sysresources
 fi

 if [ -f $sysmodmap ]; then
    xmodmap $sysmodmap
 fi

 if [ -f $userresources ]; then
    xrdb -merge $userresources
 fi

 if [ -f $usermodmap ]; then
    xmodmap $usermodmap
 fi

 # set up the environment
 export HOSTDISPLAY=linda:0.0
 PATH=/usr/local/bin:/usr/local/bin/X11:/bin:/usr/bin:/usr/bin/X11:/usr/bin/mh:
/usr/lib/games:/usr/uv/bin:$HOME/bin:.
 MANPATH=/usr/local/man:/usr/X11R6/man:/usr/man:/usr/local/pgsql/man
 XAUTHORITY=/home/olly/.Xauthority
 PGPPATH=/home/olly/.pgp
 PAGER=less
 KDEDIR=/usr/local
 LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/local/lib
 export PATH MANPATH PGPPATH XAUTHORITY PAGER KDEDIR LD_LIBRARY_PATH

 # Get the Backspace key to work properly
 xmodmap -e "keycode 22 = BackSpace"

 # start some nice programs
 #xfishtank -m 50 &
 #xearth -rot 22.5 -pos "orbit 1.6 90" -wait 60 -ncolors 24 -gamma 1.6 &
 xscreensaver -timeout 5 -cycle 5 -nice 20 -lock -lock-timeout 2 &
 xclock -geometry 50x50-1+1 &
 xterm -sb -sl 500 -ls -j -geometry 80x20+510-0 &
 xterm -sb -sl 500 -ls -j -geometry 80x66+0+0 &
 xpostit -geometry 70x80+1200+60 &
 xconsole -file /dev/xconsole -exitOnFail -geometry 500x80+600+0 &
 /usr/sbin/dctrl &
 # Start the window manager
 exec fvwm2 >fvwm.stdout 2>fvwm.stderr
 #exec kwm >kwm.stdout 2>kwm.stderr

2. Using startx

Use .xinitrc instead of .xsession.  it is exactly the same as .xsession as
shown
above.  /etc/X11/config also needs allow-user-xsession.

.xinitrc and .xsession have to be executable

3. /etc/X11/window-managers

If the default scripts run, instead of your own scripts, the first window
manager listed in /etc/X11/window-managers is run.  If this is not working,
there may be some problem with its set up or its path.

Read /usr/doc/xbase/debian.README for more information.
Isle of Wight                      http://homepages.enterprise.net/olly

In case of connection troubles, try olly@enterprise.net instead.