Xwindows problem: window managers confusion HELP!

Hi
I installed fvwm95 and everything worked fine. But I decided to installed
more windows managers and now all I get is a single xterm with no menus.
I'm having a hard time trying to figure out what goes on what file.  At
this point I don't know the difference between .xinitrc and xsession. Can
someone tell me whichone I'm supposse to use?
I tried adding and deleting my .xinitrc and .xsession from /root to see if
I could get the global defaults. But nothing changed.  My files get
ignored no matter what I put in them. What can I do to find out what I'm
not getting any window managers?

Alberto Ruiz
aruiz@debian1.sssys.com