solved the molassus

I'm not sure just which messages did & didn't get out; i've just
discovered that the full file system on a workstation was eating the
mail.  So apologies in advance if theis got here in some form before . .
.

It finally occurred to me that com1 was off on the card due to the modem
card that was i the machine.  Putting the modem back in didn't solve it.
PUlling the card entirely, and replacing it with another type, did.

rick