Re: permissions of CD-ROM device

RS> I've got a working sound card and CD-ROM drive again for the first
RS> time in a while, and I'd like to set the permissions up so I can
RS> play CDs on it without being root.  The drive is an IDE device,
RS> /dev/hdc, it's currently group disk.

RS> Is the standard way to set this up to make the device node group
RS> cdrom and put myself in that group?

What I've done: I have created a new device cdrom using mknod with the
same minor and major numbers as hdc. I left hdc intact. This new
created device has the following ownership

brw-rw----   1 root     cdrom     22,   0 May 30 22:19 /dev/cdrom

and then I've put myself in group cdrom.

Hope this helps.

--
 Emilio C. Lopes <mailto:Emilio.Lopes@Physik.TU-Muenchen.DE>