Re: Debian woes

On Sun, 15 Jun 1997, Dale Scheetz wrote:

> 	A. After a failed intallation pass with dselect, make a
> 	   "configure" pass followed by another installation pass. Repeat
> 	   until all packages successfully install.

My experience is that some parts remain subtly broken if you try that.

> 	B. Install the "standard" packages in one run, and the X packages
> 	   only after the standard installation is complete.

Depending on the order in which dselect processes xbase and xserver, you
may even have to do separate runs for those packages. Furthermore, if you
want to use XF86Setup, you might even need 3 runs if you're unlucky:
xbase, then xfntbase and xfnt75, then xserver-vga16 and xserver-<your
chipset>

> 2. Several X packages have "hidden" dependencies on other packages, so it
> is possible to select a set of packages that dselect thinks are fine but
> where there is actually a dependence on a package not yet selected. My
> testing experience produced the following list:
>
> 	Required Packages:
>
> 		xbase			Basic X programs
> 		xserver-vga16		Configuration server
> 		xserver-<your choice>	Operational server
> 		xfntbase		Basic Font set
> 		xlib6			Library provided in "standard"

Add xfnt75 here, as it is needed to run XF86Setup.

Cheers,

Joost