Re: 10BT cables and lightning

"Walter L. Preuninger II" <walterp@rapidramp.com> writes:

[snip]

> Would running the cable thru some metal conduit protect me? Are there
> devices similar to surge suppresors for ethernet cables?

I was reading a section in an IBM manual about the requirements for
running twinax (sort of like thick coax) cabling outside a building.
Each end of the cable must be run through a box to protect the
equipment, and (paraphrased) the box "must be no closer than [some
number of] feet from any flammable objects".

I would really recommend trying to run it inside.  A hole drilled at
the bottom of a wall is quite unobtrusive in a carpeted room.

--
                Carey Evans  <*>  c.evans@clear.net.nz

     date        =  1*2DIGIT month 2DIGIT        ; day month year
                                                  -- Y2K bug in RFC822