Re: 10BT cables and lightning

On Thu, Jun 12, 1997 at 08:59:32AM -0500, Walter L. Preuninger II wrote:
> I would like to setup my home-net using 10bt cables between my linux and
> windoze boxen, but the only way I have to run the cables is to run it out
> a window, under the house, and back in a window. Is there any method of
> protecting the cables & cards from lightning damage? Several pc's and a 16
> port concentrator died recently due to a very close lightning strike.
>
> Would running the cable thru some metal conduit protect me? Are there
> devices similar to surge suppresors for ethernet cables?

Ouch. Sounds like Ethernet just isn't intended for the environment
you're intending. You really can't drill a couple of holes in the floor
or the walls?

The metal conduit might help, but it may also attract the lightning ..

Hamish
--
Hamish Moffatt, StudIEAust                    moffatt@yallara.cs.rmit.edu.au
Student, computer science & computer systems engineering.    3rd year, RMIT.