Bash 2.00 error in xterm

I use startx to launch my xserver.  A default xterm comes up with no
error.  However when I start a new xterm from the window manager, I get
the following error:

bash: /home/havenerk/.bashrc:  line2: unexpected EOF while looking for
matching `''
bash: /home/havenerk/.bashrc:  line3: syntax error: unexpected end of
file bash-2.00

here is my .bashrc:
# ~/.bashrc:  executed by bash(1) for non-login shells
PS1=\u\'@'\h\n\w

Question 1:  since this used to work under bash 1.14, I presume it's
related to bash 2.00's posix compliance, but what 2.00 convention have I
broke?  Where should I put the matching `'' to get the same functionality
as before?

Question 2:  Why doesn't the error occur in the default xterm.  After all
that isn't a login shell...is it?

PS.  yes I know I should read the fine manual, but it's in
incomprehensible english and comprehensible english is my native language!

                  Thanx for your quick fix suggestions
                  kfh