Re: xemacs and tex

Hello!  :)

On Fri, 13 Jun 1997 lapreste@le-eva.univ-bpclermont.fr wrote:

> I recently updated to 1.3 latex was replaced by Tetex distribution and
> xemacs became 19.14.1.
> I have the problem that the tex-modes.el lisp file is now aged of years,
> and do not recognize the latex2e format and display no menu on the menu
> bar.
> Do you know if there is an adaptation of the equivalemt emacs file (which
> do not work with xemacs) that is more recent? Or must I try to adapt it ?

Is XEmacs 19.15 in Debian 1.3?  I am using the unstable distribution and
it comes with XEmacs 19.15.  AUC TeX is included with 19.15, but I am not
sure about 19.14.  Try the command

	locate auctex

and see if you find the AUCTeX files with XEmacs.  I found a bunch of them
in '/usr/lib/xemacs-19.15/lisp/auctex'.

However, I had the same problem as yours when I first used XEmacs.  For
some reason, it loaded the old TeX mode by default.  I had to add the
'50tex-site.el' file in '/etc/xemacs/site-start-19.d' to make it load AUC
TeX by default.  Try the following:

  # cd /usr/xemacs/site-start-19.d
  # ln -s /usr/lib/xemacs-19.15/lisp/auctex/tex-site.el 50tex-site.el

(Of course, in your case, you would probably use
'/usr/lib/xemacs-19.14/lisp/auctex/tex-site.el' instead.  :)

Since I know little about Emacs, it took me a while to figure out how to
do it.  It wasn't until I found the file
'/etc/emacs/site-start.d/50tex-site.el' from GNU Emacs that I found out I
could do the same with XEmacs to make AUC TeX work in XEmacs also.  :)

> If you have any hint on what to do or who to ask I would be very pleased.
>   thank you and sorry for disturbing with perhaps trivial questions.

Hey, this is not a trivial question!  :)  I had that very same problem and
it took me quite a while to figure out what was going on.  :)  So don't
apologize, because this is what this list is all about!  :)

Anthony

--
Anthony Fok Tung-Ling            foka@gpu.srv.ualberta.ca
Civil Engineering                http://www.ualberta.ca/~foka/