Re: tar boo-boo...

> Jim Pick <jim@jimpick.com> writes:
>
> > Since it only wrote out a few files, does anyone know if there is a
> > way to retrieve the files off the tape that weren't overwritten?
>
> Hmm.  Given my previous experiences with tape drives, you may be out
> of luck.  When you clobbered the old file, you wrote an end of tape
> marker that the drive will probably refuse to move past (which is
> normally an excellent behavior).
>
> The only thing I can think is to try using "mt seek" to bytes past the
> end of the tape, but I'd be surprised if the drive lets you.

It wouldn't let me - I found an easier solution.  I had previously used
the system where the old disk was going (a Win95 only system, for now)
with the "nfsroot" package, so I just used that boot floppy, and I was
able to mount the partition, and copy all of the files via NFS.

Thanks for the help, guys...  :-)

Cheers,

 - Jim