Re: tar boo-boo...

Jim Pick <jim@jimpick.com> writes:

> Since it only wrote out a few files, does anyone know if there is a
> way to retrieve the files off the tape that weren't overwritten?

Hmm.  Given my previous experiences with tape drives, you may be out
of luck.  When you clobbered the old file, you wrote an end of tape
marker that the drive will probably refuse to move past (which is
normally an excellent behavior).

The only thing I can think is to try using "mt seek" to bytes past the
end of the tape, but I'd be surprised if the drive lets you.

--
Rob