Re: Locales Problem?

Martin.Bialasinski@uni-koeln.de wrote:

> On 12 Jun, Victor Torrico wrote:
> >
> > I tried putting LANG="en_US" in my .bash_profile and still get LANG=us
> > when I do an env. As you can tell I'm a unix/linux novice.  What am I
> > overlooking?
>
> For a quick test (I assume you use bash), do
>
> export LANG=en_US
>
> You can then check if it works by
>
> perl -v
>
> Please do tell me if setting LANG solved your perl problems.
>
> Ciao,
>         Martin

I did as you requested and still get the perl problem.  See the
following for my results:

vtorrico# export LANG=en_US
vtorrico# perl -v
perl: warning: Setting locale failed.
        LC_ALL = (unset),
        LANG = "en_US"

This is perl, version 5.004

Copyright 1987-1997, Larry Wall

Perl may be copied only under the terms of either the Artistic License
or the
GNU General Public License, which may be found in the Perl 5.0 source
kit.

vtorrico#

Cheers,

Victor

PS:  Perhaps it is due to using the latest version of Perl?  Is it
possible that the LC_ALL and LANG are compiled incorrectly into the
kernel?  I am using a recently compiled kernel 2.0.30.  I'm getting in
over my depth of knowledge here.