X Windows stability problems

HI everyone,

I usually won't go around asking for help with ambiguous problems, but
this one has me really stumped.

X windows freezes.  A lot.  This isn't something that seems too normal, i
mean I figure that Linux will be able to handle any software related
problems, so it really is annoying to think I may have a hardware
problem...

Basically, if I'm doing something, especially using Netscape, my cursor
will just stop, and I will ahve to reboot my computer, at the risk of
losing data integrity on my hard drive...

I have run Linux many times before, and this is the first time something
of this nature has happened.  Windows 95 does not freeze on me like this.

Actually, this reminds me of something 4 months ago - i had a real problem
with Windows 95 freezing on me, but X windows wouldn't.  Now that i've
re-installed Windows 95, everything started working fine for a few months.

i also bought a Matrox Millenium since the last time i ran linux.  perhaps
the X sserver doesn't like that card compared to my old S3.

i've tried both Debian & Red Hat distributions just for the heck of it,
but the same thing goes.

One thing that is interesting is that Metro X, compares to XFree86, is
much stabler.  It only freezes after a few hours, as opposed to a few
minutes.

i have a Matrox Millenium card, using the SVGA XFree86 server, or MetroX
as an alternate.  24 Megs of RAM< pentium 75...

Any suggestions./ideas would be helpful.  Could this be a conflict with my
video card, or more hardware related?