Re: *Help!* Where is device partition info stored?

On Tue, 10 Jun 1997 23:00:44 -0700, Philippe Troin wrote:

>On Wed, 11 Jun 1997 01:48:52 CDT "Dave Cinege" (dcinege@psychosis.com)
> wrote:
>
>> I was playing in fdisk, and like an idiot deleted an extended partition.
>>
>> This is a brand new set-up that I just finished, and I didn't save a map of
>> the partitioning yet, so I need o layout to build rebuild.
>
>If you ran lilo with your old partition table, there might be a way.
>
>*WARNING*: the following might break your setup:
>If Lilo is installed in the MBR, it should have made a backup copy of
>the original MBR in /boot/boot.<major/minor>. Restoring this will
>restore the old partition setup.
>To restore it do:
>	dd if=/boot/boot.<right-number> of=/dev/hd[abcd] bs=512 count=1
>Note that lilo -u won't restore the partition table.

My MBR is not the problem....I have a copy of that, and infact already
restored it. It's the logical partitions in the extended partition that I
am missing info on. Since I deleted the extended parition though fdisk, I'm
pretty sure the logical info got wiped, and even with the correct MBR, fdisk
does not pull any logicals up. The data is all there, and if I *really*
needed it, I could start scanning the raw drive for the bootsectors to find
where they start.

But the OS, some where, has the layout of the logical partitioning. If I can
get the start/stop sectors I can fix it in 30 seconds.....

I normally keep all this info on a peice of paper, along with copies of all
my boot sectors....I just haven't gotten around to that yet with this
set-up.