Re: URL for StarOffice is here

On Sat, Jun 07, 1997 at 10:58:59AM -0600, Rick Macdonald wrote:
> On Sat, 7 Jun 1997, Paul Serice wrote:
>
> > Plenty of people have asked for the URL after I posted a
> > "Debian Success Story".  So, here it is
> > ftp://ftp.gwdg.de/pub/linux/staroffice
>
> Can anybody give a report of the StarOffice word processor
> compared to Lyx?

I tried StarOffice earlier today. The install is confusing
since after untarring everything, I couldn't find any documentation
which said what setup to run, etc. The spreadsheet seems quite
good, the math program looks quite confusing, the graphing
is good. The wordprocessor seems to be very slow and use
very small fonts, even for 12 point. And the style window
that hangs around in each program is a bit annoying.

Anyone want to give a comparison with Applixware?
I'm considering buying Applixware because it is only $100 AUD
student price, which is pretty good (MS Office 97 is $200
for students I think, regularly nearly $500).

Hamish
--
Hamish Moffatt, StudIEAust                    moffatt@yallara.cs.rmit.edu.au
Student, computer science & computer systems engineering.    3rd year, RMIT.