Re: URL for StarOffice is here

Hamish Moffatt <moffatt@yallara.cs.rmit.edu.au> writes:

> On Sat, Jun 07, 1997 at 10:58:59AM -0600, Rick Macdonald wrote:
> > On Sat, 7 Jun 1997, Paul Serice wrote:
> >
> > > Plenty of people have asked for the URL after I posted a
> > > "Debian Success Story".  So, here it is
> > > ftp://ftp.gwdg.de/pub/linux/staroffice
> >
> > Can anybody give a report of the StarOffice word processor
> > compared to Lyx?
>
> I tried StarOffice earlier today. The install is confusing
> since after untarring everything, I couldn't find any documentation
> which said what setup to run, etc. The spreadsheet seems quite
> good, the math program looks quite confusing, the graphing
> is good. The wordprocessor seems to be very slow and use
> very small fonts, even for 12 point. And the style window
> that hangs around in each program is a bit annoying.
>
> Anyone want to give a comparison with Applixware?
> I'm considering buying Applixware because it is only $100 AUD
> student price, which is pretty good (MS Office 97 is $200
> for students I think, regularly nearly $500).

You should also take a gander at wp 7 before you throw any money on
the table.  There is a beta at http://www.sdcorp.com/.  I've never
tried applixware, but I prefer wp7 to staroffice, and it's much better
than wp 6 for linux, though quite reminiscent (hopefully they'll fix
some things before the release, like the cheezy preferences
button-box, and some remaining problems with font-rendering).

I didn't care much for lyx.  It didn't seem to offer an advantages
over auctex/emacs/xdvi (which would probably be my wordprocessing
platform of choice--these commercial offerings are mostly useful for
when people send me Word6 smack).

--sf