Re: [Q] update-menus broken in 1.3?

On Thu, 5 Jun 1997, Sudhakar Chandrasekharan wrote:
> Joey Hess wrote:
> > Sudhakar Chandrasekharan:
> > > I have spent the last couple of hours trying to customize my fvwm2
> > > setup.  I basically want to add stuff to the default menus that comes
> > > with Debian.  I tried the following -
> > >
> > > * Moved /usr/lib/menu/default/vim to /etc/menu/vim and ran
> > > update-menus.  Then quit X and restarted it.  Don't find vim under
> > > /Apps/Editors (which is where it is supposed to put in).

this isn't necessary... menu already looks in /usr/lib/menu/default

> > To add local stuff, try using "?package(menu):" at the front of the line in
> > themenu file. Since the menu package is of course installed, the menu item
> > will show up. (There are probably better ways to do this..)
>
> That worked.  As you said, there *should* be another way to specify
> local packages.  Though I can understand why update-menus does not add
> an item if the package is not installed.

yes, there is another, 'more proper' way.  rename the file to local-vim
and put it in /etc/menu.  anything that starts with 'local' is installed,
regardless of what debian packages are installed. this is an inadequately
documented feature of menu (buried in a changelog file... hmpth :P )

> Another question.  I know this might be a FAQ.
>
> If I want to install a package that is not part of the Debian
> distribution, how do I go about it?  I think there are two scenarios
>
> I have currently been bypassing the dpkg mechanism and installing these
> packages under /usr/local tree.

that's the way to go.
of course, you can also use $HOME for user-specific stuff

-brad

maximill@u.washington.edu - http://weber.u.washington.edu/~maximill