Re: lpr: unable to get official name for local machine

Jens B. Jorgensen writes:

>Brian K Servis wrote:
>>
>> Help!
>>
>> Ever since I upgrade to frozen(May 25) I am having all kinds of problems
>> with name resolution.  Lpr is one of them, when lpd starts I get the
>> following repeated 5 times in messages:
>>
>> Jun  3 13:35:39 widget-servis lpd[374]: unable to get official name for local machine widget-servis
>>
>> I connect to my isp via dialup and us slirp to emulate ppp so I gave my
>> machine a bogus name of widget-servis.
>>
>> I didn't have any problems before with 1.2. Other problems include ppp, ping,
>> emacs, etc.  Basically anything that trys to do a name resolve when starting
>> or uses a name resolve.  I didn't change any of my hostname, resolve.conf,
>> hosts.* files during the upgrade.
>
>This may be true. However, perhaps one of these got changed anyway.
>Why don't you include them in your post. This would be very helpful.
>
>--
>Jens B. Jorgensen
>jjorgens@bdsinc.com

Ok here goes:

/etc/resolve.conf:
domain ecn.purdue.edu
search ecn.purdue.edu
nameserver 128.46.131.20
nameserver 128.46.131.20
nameserver 128.46.131.20

/etc/host.conf:
order hosts,bind
multi on

/etc/hostname:
widget-servis

/etc/hosts:
127.0.0.1                       localhost loopback widget-servis.ecn.purdue.edu
widget-servis
#(plus a bunch of other frequenctly used hosts at ecn.purdue.edu)

/etc/hosts.allow
ALL: LOCAL

/etc/hosts.deny
ALL: PARANOID

/etc/hosts.equiv
#(empty)

/etc/hosts.lpd
#(empty)

/etc/init.d/network:
ifconfig lo 127.0.0.1
route add -net 127.0.0.0 dev lo

Newly discovered info: I can ping 127.0.0.1 and it works if I ping
widget-servis it gives a host unknown error, this used to work in
before.

Brian
--
Mechanical Engineering				   servis@ecn.purdue.edu