Re: lpr: unable to get official name for local machine

Brian K Servis <servis@ecn.purdue.edu> writes:

[snip]

> /etc/hosts:
> 127.0.0.1                       localhost loopback widget-servis.ecn.purdue.edu
> widget-servis
> #(plus a bunch of other frequenctly used hosts at ecn.purdue.edu)

[snip]

> /etc/init.d/network:
> ifconfig lo 127.0.0.1
> route add -net 127.0.0.0 dev lo

I have found that having anything other that "localhost" after
127.0.0.1 caused me problems in the past.  I use the dummy driver to
create a fake network:

--- /etc/hosts ---
127.0.0.1       localhost
192.168.117.2   psyche.evansnet psyche www.evansnet news.evansnet

[ 192.168.*.* are available for provate use; see RFC 1918. ]

--- /etc/hostname ---
psyche

--- /etc/init.d/network
#!      /bin/sh
ifconfig lo localhost
route add -net 127.0.0.0

ifconfig dummy0 psyche
route add -net 192.168.117.0

[ dummy if it's in the kernel, dummy0 if it's a module. ]

There still seem to be things that expect _one_, _permanently_
connected interface and hostname.  :-(

--
                Carey Evans  <*>  c.evans@clear.net.nz

	    "Lies, damn lies, and computer documentation."