Re: problem with install

On Tue, 3 Jun 1997, Andy Pastuszak wrote:

> Hello All,
>
> I am trying to install Debian 1.2.17 on a Compaq Deskpro XL 5/90, which
> has that AMD SCSI chip in it.  Installation went great except for the
> fact that every time I access the SCSI HD, I get the message:
>
> target: 0 rate=10.0 Mhz, synchronous, sync offset=15 bytes
>
> I got this message all throughout the install and now when I reboot I
> get the same thing.  Any help with getting rid of this message would be
> appreciated.

 I'm not familiar with that driver (and not very familiar with SCSI,
really) but if your drive is working, I would presume that that is a
debug message that was accidentally compiled into the AMD driver.
Assuming that's correct, what I would do is:

 1. If you're not running kernel 2.0.29 or 2.0.30, upgrade to one of
them. (I'm running 2.0.30 without problems, but I hear some people have
issues with that version.) The problem may just go away with a
correctly-compiled kernel, and there are bugfixes in those versions.

 2. If it still shows up after that, take a look at the driver code
itself - I don't have my Linux box handy, but it ought to be in the
kernel sources under drivers/scsi, with a filename like "amdsomething.c".
Look for a message like the above. There's probably a broken "#ifdef"
around it. After that, recompile the kernel. (You probably want to "make
zdisk" to try it from a boot floppy first.)

 Hope this helps...

 Sincerely,

 Ray Ingles         (248) 377-7735          ray.ingles@fanucrobotics.com

 "Anybody who has ever seen a photograph showing the kind of damage that
a trout traveling that fast can inflict on the human skull knows that
such photographs are very valuable. I paid $20 for mine." - Dave Barry