Re: 1.3 Installation Report

On Thu, 29 May 1997, Bruce Perens wrote:

> From: Che Fox <che@yiff.rh7.imsa.edu>
> > Pretty much everything went well -- the biggest surprise was that
> > the base disks, although there were 5 of them, offered *much* more
> > functionality this time around than ever before. Having elvis was
> > lovely
>
> That's not Elvis, it's an Elvis impersonator! If I'm not mistaken
> it's actually a macro file for "ae" to emulate vi!

Actually Bruce, although the ae imposter is still included, it has been
superceded by a tiny version of elvis. The worst part of it is that this
version refuses to let other versions of vi execute after they have been
installed. I haven't had the time to look into it and figure out a work
around. I really hate it. It doesn't do word wrap and drops out of insert
mode at very surprising times. I have several reports that installations
of other vi packages are completely ignored and any call to vi continues
to give the crippled elvis version.

Luck,

Dwarf