Re: Segfault with SVGAlib utils

On Mon, 26 May 1997 mfrattola@mail.enjoy.it wrote:

> > Everytime I attempt to run some utilities (gs4.03, tmview, etc.) I get a
> > segfault with signal 11. I have no idea what this means and I'm
>
> signal 11 is segmentatio fault, i.e. yor CPU tried to access an invalid address.
> Usually this means that:
>
> a. the program you run is buggy and addresses wrong places in memory
> b. your hardware is broken (most of the time, a SIMM, a Mboard socket, ..)
>
> Since many other persons run gs, it should not be answer a. You can try to test

As you say, since gs, et al. all work for other people it's not likely to
be buggy app software.

> your hardware, for ex. switching SIMMs or pulling them out one at a time and see
> if it segfaults again.

I'm almost certain that the hardware is fine. Every single other program
has zero trouble with it and there are even some SVGAlib using programs
that work fine (zgv and lockvc being the examples). I'm still very puzzled...

Dan (big)

--
deverton@gucis.cit.gu.edu.au	"Infinity Welcomes Careful Drivers"