Re: Had to reset, now in deep kimshee....]

>However, the modules aren't supposed to be loaded from /usr: they are supposed to
>live in /lib/modules, and the insmod executable is in /sbin, so there _should_ be
>no problem. Did you messabout with your system?

Nope. I didn't touch the modules, path, boot files
or records. Just hit the reset switch. Something got
scrambled, it seems.

Warning to anyone with write-back cache on their
hard disk: DO NOT HIT THE RESET SWITCH IN A MULTI-
TASKING ENVIRONMENT!

I was suprised that running X, with no window
manager, hung the "Alt-F1, Alt-F2..." console login
switch as well, since that was the first thing I
tried in order to log in and kill the process.

>> If I go back to the rescue floppy, how much damage can I do to
>> the software already loaded? All I intend to do is to select and
>> load modules....

>Well, you _can_ do a lot of damage, but if you're carefull and don't do things
>like "rm -rf /", then you probably will not do too much damage. (But _DO_ unmount
>all filesystems before the next reboot -- or if this fails atleast type "sync").

I will print this message out and take it home with
me. Unfortunately, the machine is not local, nor
can I log into it, what with the network module
"non existant".

>> Is there a fix that I am not aware of? Some way to reorder the
>> fsck of /hda2 to occur before the module loads are tried?

>See above -- should not be needed.

I will not try that then. Many thanks!

>--
>joost witteveen, joostje@debian.org
>#!/bin/perl -sp0777i<X+d*lMLa^*lN%0]dsXx++lMlN/dsM0<j]dsj $/=unpack('H*',$_);$_=`echo 16dio\U$k"SK$/SM$n\EsN0p[lN*1
>lK[d2%Sa2/d0$^Ixp"|dc`;s/\W//g;$_=pack('H*',/((..)*)$/) #what's this? see
>http://www.dcs.ex.ac.uk/~aba/rsa/

---
Curt Howland  Howland@Priss.com  http://www.Priss.com
    "The Probability Broach" by L. Neil Smith
ISBN:0-812-53875-7 Available from Laissez Faire Books
       http://www.lfb.org/   1.800.326.0996