Re: TCP/IP Routing with Class B

John Roesch wrote:
:I have a company that wants to move to TCP/IP only.  They need to connect
:to 3 locations and the Internet (4 routers).  The Internet link has a
:firewall with Network Address Translation so we can use any addressing we
:want internally.
:
:Networks in each location would be 172.16.1.0,  172.16.2.0, 172.16.3.0,
:and the Internet.  My questions are:
:
: - What subnet mask(s) do we apply to the networks to get the routing to
:work?

Well, you want to extend the network part of the IP address to cover
three octets leaving 253 addresses (excluding 0 and 255) in each
network - that'll give you a MASK 255.255.255.0

: - With 4 routes to different subnets and the Internet, what routing
:entries do we need to enter in the routers and the workstations?  Does a
:routing protocol come into the picture?

Static routes will do just fine, I'd say.

You don't specify how the lans are connected to each other, but since
you say you end up with 4 routers, I suspect that you want to do it
like this:

                  Internet/ISP
                     ^

LAN A        <--> Company LAN <--> LAN B
(172.16.1.0)         ^             (172.16.2.0)

                   LAN C
                   (172.16.3.0)

In the LANs A, B, C you just need to set the default route to the respective
router of the LAN - it'll take care of the rest.

In the Company LAN, each Workstation and Router has to have static routes
to LAN A, B, C via the respective Router. If you don't care about traffic,
you don't even need the LAN routes on the Workstation as long as the default
router knows where to send packets destined for the separate LANs.

HTH,
--
Thomas Baetzler, thb@regioservice.de, bath0011@fh-karlsruhe.de
<A HREF="http://www.fh-karlsruhe.de/~bath0011/>Visit my Homepage!</A>