Re: nfs-booting with a null-modem cable ?

From: Rob Browning <rlb@cs.utexas.edu>
> If you're talking about the 486 booting from an nfs mounted root on
> your PPro machine, I think you may need an ethernet card with special
> boot ROMs.

Not nearly so difficult, he can use a floppy drive.
You can load the kernel from floppy and have it mount an NFS root.
SysLinux would be best for this.

On a Debian system:

	Put a formatted floppy in the first floppy drive.
	Unzip /usr/lib/syslinux/img1440.gz to the raw floppy, /dev/fd0.
	Mount the floppy as an MSDOS filesystem, and copy the kernel
	 on to it.
	Edit SYSLINUX.CFG to add the NFS root parameters to the boot
	 command line. See the file /usr/src/linux/Documentation/nfsroot.txt,
	 you will have to install the kernel-source package if you have not
	 done so.

That should work fine.

	Thanks

	Bruce