Re: Multiple subnets on a single ethernet. Related to routes.

>      I have been doing a bit of planning related to subnetting a
> class C for our ehternet.  One of the problems that I ran into was
> that if I used RIP the entire network had to be on the same
> subnetmask, since RIP doesn't deal with subnet masks.  This was a
> real pain since I have a couple of machines that will need to have
> alliased addresses (WWW and FTP servers) and they will each use up a
> large portion of a subnet each if masked as 255.255.255.240.
>
>      What complications occur if a particular machine has a single IP
> address and needs to communicate with a machine on a different
> subnet even though they share a single ethernet.  I have done this
> before by manually adding the routes to the routing table but the
> connections seam extremely slow in establishment.  Once the
> connection is made everything seams to be ok but the broadcast
> addresses are obviously out of different blocks which may be causing
> problems.  Theoretically it shouldn't be a problem but practice can
> be a different thing all together.

Why would you want to have multiple IP subnets on the same ethernet
segment?  The whole reason for subnetting is to split the same IP "class"
across multiple segments.

For routing, go with GateD and use OSPF or RIP II if you require routing.
Otherwise, if possible, (i.e. you have few hosts, routers, and changes,
etc.) just go with static routes.  Less traffic, and easier to configure up
front.

Later,

Kevin Traas
Systems Analyst