Re: Multiple subnets on a single ethernet. Related to routes.

>      Well we are using several Novell Netware servers and from where
> I'm told they would be restricted to using a single subnet mask.  I'm
> not really that up on Netware so I can't contradict it yet.  The
> reason for the use of multiple subnets on the same ethernet is (I
> believe) a solution proposed by Novell in one of their appnotes
> related to getting more addresses when you subnet it too much.  They
> are heavily into the use of RIP though it can be turned off and
> static routes used.

You didn't mention which version of Netware you're running.  I'm pretty
sure 3.x only supports RIP while 4.x supports RIP, RIPII, and OSPF (and
others).

Any time you subnet, you lose host addresses.  However, you gain networks.
That's the trade-off.  The more networks you want, the more hosts you
lose....

>      The other night I was looking to see which package gated was in
> and I didn't see it in the standard Debian system at all.  I looked
> in the 1.2 contents file and routed came up in netbase or something
> like that but no gated.  Did I miss it or did you get the source and
> add it your self.

GateD doesn't come as a package and you won't find it distributed anywhere
as a binary (that I know of) due to licensing restrictions.  You _can_
freely download the source (from http://www.gated.org); however, it's
pretty difficult to compile under Linux.  Best place for GateD help is the
GateD mailing list (info at URL above).

I have heard rumours of a RedHat GateD package (RPM format).  If that is
available, that might be an option for you (thanks to the Debian-based RPM
package maintainer now available).

Good luck!

later,

Kevin Traas