debian 1.2 install

IN%"Office.Net@debian.novare.net" 25-MAY-1997 03:49:04.98
> Subj:	debian 1.2 install
>

> I ran into a problem at the early stages of installing debian.
>
> I have a soundblaster scsi interface.
> That means at boot : linux aha1152x=0x340,11,7,1
>
> the install then says:
>
> I suspect this is because the install routine expects
> the scsi boot device to be at location 0 (zero)
> and this is presently at 6, and the only device.
>
> do I have to move this hard disk to zero,
> and are there any problems with this?

There is no SCSI requirement for having the boot SCSI drive to
have id 0. My  boot drive  is drive 2 at work, and drive id 1 here
at home. The controller will boot from the drive with lowest SCSI
id, so you could not have any other drives if you want to boot
from the drive with SCSI id 6.

LILO (that lives on the boot sector of the drive with lowest id)
can boot kernels on other drives than the one with lowest SCSI id.
The root device also may be on other drives.

This is my experience with aha154x and aha2840 controllers, and I
believe, this is standard SCSI behavior.

I hope this is of value to you.

--David

           LINUX: the FREE 32 bit OS for [345]86 PC's available NOW!
David B Teague | User interface copyrights & software patents make
teague@wcu.edu | programing a dangerous business. Ask me or lpf@lpf.org

spy counter-intelligence wild porno sex gold bullion Soviet Bosnia clipper
Mossad data encryption munitions Serbian hydrazine ammonium nitrate fuel oil