Re: IP-Accounting HOWTO?

On Thu, 22 May 1997, Heiko Schlittermann wrote:

> On May 22, Benedikt Eric Heinen wrote
> :   I'd need to get a finer split in traffic list, I'd need to get an
> : accounted list indicating each service and each new destination
> : separately. Is there a package to do that yet?
>
> Try net-acct.  There's a debian package out there.  Nice thing, but
> produces huuuuge amounts of data.
>
> It logs
>
> 	date / protocol / source_ip:port / dest_ip:port / packets / bytes / user
>
> for every packet travelling on the connected ethernet segment (putting
> the interface in promiscous mode).   You can exclude / include specific
> networks / addresses.

But is it possible to exclude traffic based on source and/or destination
IP separately?  What we'd like to do is exclude any traffic where BOTH
source and destination are local, and record all other traffic (e.g. for
international traffic billing, where if either source or dest are
non-local we want it counted, but not otherwise).  My reading of the docs
gave me the impression that one could exclude traffic involving certain
nets but it wasn't fussy about what else the traffic involved...see what
I'm getting at?

Richard Shepherd (richards@waikato.ac.nz)