Re: debian 1.2 install

On Sun, 25 May 1997, David B. Teague wrote:

> Richard Lough writes:
>
> > From:	IN%"ralough@The.debian.novare.net",
> IN%"Office.Net@debian.novare.net" 25-MAY-1997 03:49:04.98
> > Subj:	debian 1.2 install
> >

> > I ran into a problem at the early stages of installing debian.
> >
> > I have a soundblaster scsi interface.
> > That means at boot : linux aha1152x=0x340,11,7,1
> >
> > the install then says:

Bad boot floppy???

> > I suspect this is because the install routine expects
> > the scsi boot device to be at location 0 (zero)
> > and this is presently at 6, and the only device.
> >
> > do I have to move this hard disk to zero,
> > and are there any problems with this?
>
> There is no SCSI requirement for having the boot SCSI drive to
> have id 0. My  boot drive  is drive 2 at work, and drive id 1 here
> at home. The controller will boot from the drive with lowest SCSI
> id, so you could not have any other drives if you want to boot
> from the drive with SCSI id 6.
>
> LILO (that lives on the boot sector of the drive with lowest id)
> can boot kernels on other drives than the one with lowest SCSI id.
> The root device also may be on other drives.
>
> This is my experience with aha154x and aha2840 controllers, and I
> believe, this is standard SCSI behavior.
>
> I hope this is of value to you.
>
> --David

>            LINUX: the FREE 32 bit OS for [345]86 PC's available NOW!
> David B Teague | User interface copyrights & software patents make
> teague@wcu.edu | programing a dangerous business. Ask me or lpf@lpf.org
>
> spy counter-intelligence wild porno sex gold bullion Soviet Bosnia clipper
> Mossad data encryption munitions Serbian hydrazine ammonium nitrate fuel oil
>

> --

: W. Paul Mills          : Bill, I was there several years ago.     :
: Topeka, Kansas, U.S.A. : Why would I want to go back tomorrow?    :
: wpmills@midusa.net     : Where were you!                          :
: paulmills@bix.com      : Linux:     Tomorrow's operating system,  :
: paulmills@aol.com      :            here, today.                  :
: compuserve 70023,1750  : #define MY_TRUE_LOVE computer            :
 --------------  http://homepage.midusa.net/~wpmills/  -------------