Re: Exabyte EXB-8505, How do I access it?

On Sun, 18 May 1997, Ken Gaugler wrote:

> I connected a Exabyte EXB-8505 8mm tape drive to my SCSI card to
> do some backups, but I am having trouble figuring out how to
> access the drive.  I assumed it was as simple as referring to
> /dev/rst0, but that doesn't work.  I tried insmod st.o, but I
> get the message that a module by that name already exists.

You most likely don't have any such device.  Here:

/dev# ./MAKEDEV -n st
crw-rw----   1 root     disk       9,   0 for st0
crw-rw----   1 root     disk       9,   1 for st1
crw-rw----   1 root     disk       9,   2 for st2
crw-rw----   1 root     disk       9,   3 for st3
crw-rw----   1 root     disk       9,   4 for st4
crw-rw----   1 root     disk       9,   5 for st5
crw-rw----   1 root     disk       9,   6 for st6
crw-rw----   1 root     disk       9,   7 for st7
crw-rw----   1 root     disk       9, 128 for nst0
crw-rw----   1 root     disk       9, 129 for nst1
crw-rw----   1 root     disk       9, 130 for nst2
crw-rw----   1 root     disk       9, 131 for nst3
crw-rw----   1 root     disk       9, 132 for nst4
crw-rw----   1 root     disk       9, 133 for nst5
crw-rw----   1 root     disk       9, 134 for nst6
crw-rw----   1 root     disk       9, 135 for nst7

If you (as root), run a:

#/dev/MAKEDEV -v st

you'll make your devices, then access the first rewinding SCSI tape as
/dev/st0.  If you'd rather have it not rewind, and instead use mt for
that, use /dev/nst0.

Jason Costomiris                 | Finger for PGP 2.6.2 Public Key
jcostom@sjis.com                 | "There is a fine line between idiocy
My employers like me, but not	 | and genius.  We aim to erase that line"
enough to let me speak for them. |			--Unknown

	        	http://www.jasons.org/~jcostom