Re: Connecting terminals

On Thu, 15 May 1997, Pilon wrote:

> I need to connect two terminals to my Linux box, I have in my inittab
> file:
>
> s1:12345:respawn:/sbin/agetty 19200 ttyS0 vt100
> s2:12345:respawn:/sbin/agetty 19200 ttyS1 vt100
>

> The login prompt appears well in my terminals; but when I try to login I
> can't do it.

What, exactly, happens?

> Can someone help me?

One possible suggestion (I had this problem) if you can, change the number
of stop bits the terminal is expecting from 2 to 1. The login program
resets the stop bits from 2 down to 1 when it takes the line from getty.
This is a reported bug in login. The terminals I was using could only deal
with 2 stop bits, so I had to add some stuff in /etc/profile to check for
the serial port in question and then issue an 'stty cstopb' to put the
stop bits back to 2. I also set row and col so that joe and lynx would
function properly. Ae has some problems with the arrow keys as well as
others I don't remember. With this settup I still got a "garbage" password
prompt, but could log in anyway and after entering the password, the
output from the host was again readable.

This area still needs some work, so keep us informed of your progress.

Luck,

Dwarf